The United States has an annual DV lottery that gives permanent residency to qualifying citizens who can give a valid reason for being in the country.
What is the DV Lottery 2024?
The DV Lottery is a program that allows people living in eligible countries to migrate to the United States. Through this program, you can get a chance to become a permanent resident of the United States.
The DV Lottery is open to people from countries that are part of the DV Migration Program. This includes countries in Central America, the Caribbean, and South America.
There are a few things that you need to do in order to be eligible for the DV Lottery. These include being a citizen of an eligible country, having a valid passport, and being physically present in an eligible country at the time of the lottery.
DV 2024 Lottery Timeline
The DV lottery 2024 is sometimes called DV lottery 2022 and here’s why. Applications for the DV 2024 lottery comes up by November 8, 2022.
The lottery draw will be held on March 1, 2023, and the winners will be published on May 7, 2023. Winners of this year’s lottery will then have to submit immigration forms and attend an interview after May 7, 2023.
Subsequently, winners can enter the United States in January 2024 on their new permanent resident card also called the green card. So basically the next DV lottery begins in 2022 and ends in 2024.
To be eligible for the DV Lottery you must be a citizen of one of the countries. The Diversity Visa Lottery is open to citizens of countries that are considered to be underrepresented in the United States.
This includes countries that are in conflict zones or have a low rate of immigration to the United States. In order to be eligible, you must not have criminal records or any conditions that would prevent you from entering the United States.
Diversity Visa: Which Countries are Included & Excluded?
This is a very long list so let’s list in terms of continents instead.
- Australia: Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand (Including components and dependent areas overseas), Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
- Africa: All countries in Africa apart from Nigeria are eligible.
- Asia: All Asian natives except Bangladesh, China (including Hong Kong), India, Pakistan, South Korea, the Philippines, and Vietnam.
- Europe: Almost all European country qualifies apart from Great Britain (United Kingdom) including the following dependent areas: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, British Indian Ocean Territory, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, South Georgia, and the South Sandwich Islands, St. Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands.
- North America: Canada obviously is the only country in this continent that doesn’t qualify for DV 2024.
- South America: Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, and Venezuela did not qualify for the DV 2024.
For more info, check out US green card qualifying countries’ official website.